Monday, April 06, 2009

City Pages Wine Tasting

Before I get into the tasting, can I just tell you that I was given the third degree by the reservationist at Alex, a high calibre French restaurant in Las Vegas? As you know, Josh and I are traveling to Las Vegas next week for my Cousin Tom's wedding, to see my brother Fuzzy, to hang out in the sun and check out a couple of oh-so-fabulous restaurants - one of which is Alex at the Wynn. So I call tonight to make the reservation and I was on the phone for a good 20 minutes. Had no trouble at all getting in or at the time we wanted, more that the reservationist was exceptionally careful to explain all of the awards the restaurant has won, how it is top rated with a famous chef, that jackets are not required but "strongly suggested," that the dress is "elegant" and certainly no shorts, jeans, etc., should be worn. She was also very specific in letting me know it's a price fixe menu, that they have a 3-course and a 7-course tasting menu, etc. And, you have to give a credit card in advance to hold the reservation - not a big deal as I have encountered this before, but if you end up canceling or are a no-show, your card gets charged $50/person anyway. Well, I suppose they have to do it so not just any country bumpkin walks in thinking it's McDonald's or something, but sheesh. I felt like I was going to have to fill out an application just to get in the place.

Wine Tasting
Anyway - on to the City Pages Wine Tasting. Surprisingly, I've never been to this before, and it's quite inexpensive - $25/person. There were 50 vendors at International Market Square (including two beer vendors). There were 250 wines there and, as I counted later, I actually tried 41 of them! (Hello, my name is Lush.) With the exception of maybe two pourers, they really are tastes - just a splash in your glass. A couple I did not care for at all and so dumped before I finished it, and a couple more of the 41 were just a sip out of what Josh was trying.

The nice thing is barely any of the wines were over $12/bottle. Just goes to show there are plenty of wines out there at a reasonable price point. They had a good mix of wines, though I largely stuck to my classic faves - moscatos, malbecs, old vine zin, rieslings, prosecco, a cab and a gewurtztraminer here and there. I was familiar with many of the vendors - such as Chateau St. Michelle (always a fave) and had never heard of many others. We skipped an occasional booth due to overcrowding, but weren't too worried about it - some wineries, like the local Cannon River, we plan to visit this summer anyway.

The place got crowded pretty quickly and the food was almost nonexistent. However, I did have a funny experience. Josh and I were standing, trying to figure out the next booth we were going to hit up, and all of a sudden this really good looking guy comes up on my left and grabs/hugs me. And I'm like - a) Wow - nice looking guy, and b) who the heck is it?! Turns out it is my cousin Mike; he was there with his girlfriend Sarah. We talked for a bit but then took off on our own wine agendas.

Most of the pourers were volunteers, like when we did the Food & Wine Experience. I think this event was a little crazier than that one (probably due in part to the cost accessibility). It would probably still be fun to work, though. We saw a Trinchero booth with the wines we had poured at the other show and immediately felt a small sense of pride - silly, isn't it? I think there were a few actual wine reps, but no one really had time for lengthy chats. (Not when you have 41 wines to sample, anyway :)

My favorite wine was probably the Gancia Moscato d'Asti, $14.67/bottle on sale at MGM. Or maybe the Mondoro Asti, at $13.77/bottle? Sheesh, I can't remember! I do remember the Calina Carmenere smelled exactly like pepperjack cheese, but it was pretty good. Did not care for the Wolf's Blass Riesling or the Castle Rock Reserve Napa Cabernet Sauvignon.

Bradstreet
Next on the agenda was hitting up Bradstreet Crafthouse, formerly Infinity nightclub in Block E, Graves Hotel. The interior is mostly the same with the exception of now you have to hike up to the fourth floor to go to the bathroom - always slightly irritating. Otherwise, we had a very nice, relaxed time. Bradstreet is known for its complex drinks (all $10) and their small plates (all $10 or under). The place wasn't crowded and we got a table right away.

First thing they did was serve us a liquid amuse bouche (we do love our amuse bouches) - a drink they are thinking about putting on their summer menu. A little lemony sweet for me but we drank it anyway, and it was served in the cutest little cordial glasses. For drinks I had a Cooper's Union, which I highly recommend. To quote: "a refreshing blend of Prairie Organic vodka, elderflower liqueur, citrus juices, and orange flower water." It tasted like moscato with orange flavor, very refreshing and tasty. Josh had the Moscow Mule and it had a really wonderful ginger taste to it.

For food I ordered mini sliders and chicken satays, and Josh ordered duck wings and crab cakes. Overall, not a place I'd hit up every weekend - way too mellow of a vibe in there, especially for a Friday night - but I would certainly go back for a beverage or two to set the night off right!

No comments:

Post a Comment