Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Risotto in Uptown

For my birthday we went to Risotto in Uptown. We had happened upon this place accidentally earlier this summer, and I had made a mental note to get back there sometime. Then, in the last few weeks it seems like it was getting positive reviews all over the place – Metro magazine, Mpls-St Paul magazine, Minnesota Monthly, City Pages, the Strib and Pioneer Press. Add that to the fact the chef formerly used to chef at Arezzo, which I always meant to go to but never did, and I decided to move it higher on my list of places to check out!

The night we had stopped in to look at their menu earlier this summer was a Saturday night and the place was dead. We walk in Monday night – a Monday night! – and it is wall-to-wall people with not one empty table. (Granted, there are only 15 tables in there and maybe a dozen bar seats, but still – the place was hopping!) Apparently they were as surprised as we were, because they were seriously understaffed. I think I only saw three people the whole time, and Josh was pretty sure one of them was the chef.

First impression is I like the décor and it would be a great space for a wine bar (which, incidentally, it used to be). There is no maitre de’ stand and so, on a busy night, you aren’t really sure where to stand or go to let them know you want a table. Last, its location on Lake Street isn’t ideal, mainly because it’s a little tucked away and I don’t know that you’d think to go there if that wasn’t your destination. In other words, I hope it lasts longer than anything else seems to in that space, all of which seems to fold in under two years.

It took a few minutes for it to slow down enough for anyone to notice we were there, but it was busy and we totally understood. Our server didn’t know crap about wine, which is fine if she had just said so. Instead, she’s like, “Well, this one’s good because it’s $50…” Whatever. As someone who came across as a part owner/manager (“I wish I had staffed more people tonight”), she should know more about the kind of wines they serve. As it was I picked a barbera, and unfortunately it was pretty awful. WAY too tannic. Ah well, sometimes you miss!

Josh had scallops for an app that had good flavor but was overcooked. I had a salad that was absolutely blah. The bread – when it finally came halfway into our meal after repeated requests – was your basic crusty bread, but nothing fabulous. And, Italian restaurant or no, I really prefer butter with my bread, not olive oil.

All that being said… the reason we went there was for the risotto, and it was really, really delicious! Josh had a saffron and sausage one, and I had a mushroom and chicken one. I am usually not a big fan of saffron as people tend to use too much of it, but it was very subtle and good. Mine I was less sure about at first, I think largely because it looked like the insides of a pot pie, which grosses me out to no end. As I got used to the earthy flavor, however, I found I really, really liked it. Last night I gave it a 6.5, but as I am eating leftovers this morning for breakfast, I give it an 8.

The restaurant overall was a 5. I’m not in a hurry to go back, though I do think it is likely a much better restaurant than what we saw last night.

No comments:

Post a Comment